Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Irish Car-Bomb Cupcakes

My friend Sarah (one of my most favorite people ever) bakes all the time. All. The freaking. Time. It's awesome. I see the things that she bakes and usually am just jealous of the people that get to eat them or intimidated by how fancy her baked goods look. But sometimes, I am inspired to bake things myself. Like these: Car-bomb cupcakes from Smitten Kitchen!

Guinness chocolate cupcakes, filled with whiskey ganache, topped with Baileys buttercream frosting. What downside could there be to baking these? None, my friends. None at all.

My baking adventure got off to a slightly rocky start - the initial Guinness/butter/cocoa mixture didn't exactly look like I thought it should, but I figured it would all get mixed in anyways, so it probably wasn't a big deal. And I was right! The cupcakes, pre-whiskey ganache and Baileys frosting looked (and tasted) delicious!


Then it was time for the ganache. I was excited because A) I had never made a ganache before; and B) Saying "ganache" makes me feel fancy. Simple pleasures. Anyways, I ended up having to use some bittersweet chocolate chips instead of baking chocolate because our grocery store did not have bittersweet baking chocolate (ridiculous). I used about 2.5 tbsp whiskey, and I think it turned out really well. The whiskey essence was there, but it wasn't too boozy.

As for the frosting - usually I can't stand making home-made buttercream frosting. The sugar is always impossible to mix in and it takes forever. But thanks to the lovely SK recipe notes, this frosting was not bad at all! I creamed the butter, added the sugar little by little, and then when it looked thick enough, I added a tablespoon of Baileys and a tablespoon of heavy cream. And then another tablespoon of Baileys. And then some sugar. And then another two tablespoons of Baileys. Who knows how much Baileys is actually in that frosting? Not me, that's for darn sure.


I think the finished product turned out really well - very rich but extraordinarily delicious, which is good because baking these cupcakes is pretty much the only thing I accomplished today. Tasty!

No comments:

Post a Comment