Sunday, February 15, 2009

Valentine's Dinner


My boyfriend and I are trying to cook for each other twice a week -- once he cooks for me, once I cook for him. It has the dual purpose of saving us money and giving us some romantic quiet time. I'm vegetarian (or sort of since I eat seafood), and he is WAY not vegetarian. So finding foods that make both of us happy can be hard -- the solution usually involves rich food. Yesterday that was definitely the case.

I would like to report that I made a fabulous lasagna. The boyfriend wanted lasagna. I've never made lasagna. I found a recipe online, made it, and it turned out great!

It's a Barefoot Contessa recipe for portobello mushroom lasagna with a bechamel sauce. It is NOT healthy, but as a special Valentine's Day dinner it was perfect. The recipe called for nutmeg in the bechamel sauce. I replaced it with garlic and shallots as suggested in one review of the recipe. Those flavors worked well with the mushrooms. The same reviewer suggested deglazing with wine or chicken stock. I always thought deglazing was done after cooking meat. I wasn't sure how to do it in this case, so I didn't. Maybe next time I'll look into that more.

For now I'm proud, and I've got a lot of leftovers!

No comments:

Post a Comment